Planting the garden!

After finally deciding the weather wouldn't make any last minute changes back to frigid nights, we decided to start planting our garden. We had already planted the tomato and strawberries in our Topsy Turvys, but we wanted to wait a while longer for the in-ground vegetables.

Just like last year, the girls were very much into helping with the garden. Here they are showcasing their gardening gloves with Mommy.


Very excited to garden with Daddy, too. I was in the middle of using our weed eater, so that's why I'm wearing my goggles and my wardrobe was...less than stellar...although I'm proud to say I am a CWU Wildcat FANatic!

Pulling weeds together. Wearing matching tank tops. My cute gardening princesses.

The freshly tilled garden. Second year in a row we've weeded, tilled and nourished the soil all by hand. Thankfully, I got a call from Grandma Guddat today telling me that Grandpa's old rota-tiller is available for my use if I need it. That will give me some help to expand the garden next year!

I've wanted to grow red bell peppers and we're trying it this year. We'll see how well I do.

We've made multiple changes to our Topsy Turvy planters. First, we had to replant our tomato. It died a week ago due to some major wind in late April right when we planted the tomatoes and strawberries. The second change was a change of venue. We took the planters off our back patio and moved them to the side of the firehouse where there is much more direct sunlight. It could be a placebo effect, since we're so hopeful of an improvement, but we think we're already noticing some noticeable growth already.

Great shot of Adelyn. This reminds me of a shot we took of Delaney at a park in Wenatchee when she was a bit younger than Adelyn is right now. I love catching the girls on camera in the middle of a run. Their swinging arms are so cute.

The girls decided they had enough of weeding for a while, so we hooked up their Dora sprinkler so they could run and play. In the back of my mind I was multi-tasking since I was watering the lawn at the same time.

Delaney spent her time actually running through the water. Adelyn stood right where the water would land on her feet and giggled. I guess she's easily amused.
So, I just realized that I don't have a shot of the garden after planting, which I will post soon. All told, we planted two types of cucumbers, two types of carrots, three separate types of corn in five total rows, green beans, two types of strawberries, one tomato (the variety is called "super fantastic" seriously, how can we go wrong?) one red bell pepper and we will plant the pumpkins next month. We also have our two rhubarb plants and our apricot, cherry and apple trees as well. We're one step away from having our own farmer's market!

Comments

Nana said…
Yum...all that hard work but it will be well worth it when the garden is harvested. I like tomatoes, hint hint .. I think it's great all the girls worked along side their very funny and unusual Daddy. Hey now, come on, don't make excuses about the goggles. Ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Adelyn Blair turns 4!

When Mommy's sick and Daddy's in charge...

Quarterly update from KTown