Fun at the CWU Rodeo!

This is Jon. I got to have the girls to myself all day on Saturday while Brittany stimulated the economy with some out of town shopping and much needed reprieve from being a mommy for a day. After getting tons done around the house (mowing, weeding, watering, laundry, please hold your applause until the end, sweeping, mopping, deep cleaning the bathroom, a dump run in Old Wilson) the girls and I decided to head to the Ellensburg Rodeo arena to take in the college rodeo hosted by CWU's rodeo team (well, I was there all three days, but the girls took me on a date there on Saturday and Sunday).

With the sun going down and the constant breeze, it was pretty chilly. The girls didn't seem to mind, I think they look pretty cute bundled up here. You might notice the water tower up on Craig's Hill in the back. According to Delaney and Adelyn, that's where Aqua lives (anyone who has watched the movie "Aquamarine" with their kids like I have about a million times knows what I'm talking about).

A bundled up Adelyn watching the pick up men guide a horse back to the chutes. Another story about Craig's Hill you see in the background. During Labor Day weekend's Ellensburg Rodeo, the stands are not only packed to the tune of nearly 10,000 people, but Craig's Hill was dubbed "Freeloader Hill" by rodeo clown Flint Rasmussen (probably the most famous rodeo clown ever, and one of my favorites, although I have a few faves). I would guesstimate another 100+ fans park their RV's along the ridge of the hill to watch the action with a birds-eye view. They actually pay for those spots but the name sticks.

The great thing about rodeo? The music for the girls to dance to. Delaney is doing some sort of a jitterbug...

...and Adelyn is a head banger.

Another thing about rodeo with the girls? They move around. We sat pretty much everywhere on Saturday night. Craig's Hill is behind us. We're looking southwest from this perspective.

The girls aren't members of PETA, but they do take plenty of concern for the animals. They love checking on...

...the bulls underneath the buckaroo stands. The roughstock chutes are immediately in front of these pens.

Adelyn went up another rung before I figured I should intervene. Delaney was content on the lowest rung. Behind me was a pen of ornery bulls, and Adelyn was enthralled with them, too. One bull in particular lowered his head and kicked some dirt much to Addy's delight and my concern. Fans aren't allowed around the pens due to safety. I broke the rules, alright?

We came back for Sunday's short-go (the top cowboys and cowgirls from the previous rounds move on to the finals, usually dubbed the short-go). Here I am stealing a kiss from my youngest rodeo princess.

Adelyn stealing my hat. This is also a good perspective of the Ellensburg Rodeo arena. We're looking east toward Craig's Hill. The roughstock chutes are on my left (the silver wall of bucking chutes). I'm watching the roping chutes (or timed-event chutes). When Brittany and I are working the Ellensburg Rodeo for the Daily Record (yes, she tracks every ride, time and score for me) she and I stand in "the pit" (as I call it) where the silver roughstock chutes meet the red wall midway in the picture. Great perspective. Never have had a seat like that at any other rodeo. Where we are sitting in this picture is pretty much the best spot to watch the roping and bulldogging events. Again, best seat in the house.

I'm so lucky, what cute girls. The long grandstands are the oldest stands of the arena, although they've been refurbished some since 1923, the inaugural Ellensburg Rodeo. The building behind me is the famous Gold Buckle Club. I've been there one time. How do you get there? Apparently donate more money than I do to the Ellensburg Rodeo.

Forever my rodeo Royal Court.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adelyn Blair turns 4!

When Mommy's sick and Daddy's in charge...

Quarterly update from KTown