Down with Odessa!

So last Friday was a big day for me. Not only did I get to see the Pendleton Round Up down south in Oregon, but I also took a detour (via Hwy 21, which drives through God's country in the middle of nowhere) on my way home to watch the mighty Warriors of Almira/Coulee/Hartline dismantle Odessa on Odessa's home field. Even better, they did it during their annual German festival where lots of men come into town and eat sausage and drink beer (yep, kind of sounds like a double sausage fest to me).
Anyway, coach Brandon Walsh and the boys left Odessa with a huge 58-8 win in B8 football. Anyone who follows B8 football knows that the mercy rule is enforced after halftime. Any time you're leading by 45 or more after halftime, it's a done deal. Well, the Warriors scored on the second play in the third quarter to end the night early. They 45'd 'em!
I'd like to take a bit of credit for this victory. Walsh was my boss when we both worked the Tunstall Dining Hall. He managed a bunch of tools like me and "Helga" the huge commercial grade dishwasher. Later, when we were RA's in the dorms, we spent hours playing Techmo Bowl on the Super Nintendo and also played on our flag football team for intramurals. It was then and there that I helped shape his playbook, the same playbook that led the Warriors to the state title (over Odessa) in 2007.
I love it when I can have such a positive influence.
Interestingly enough, the Warriors first state title came in 1990 when Walsh was a senior. I have no idea why I remember factoids like that, but I feel like I was there since I watched the video tape of the game.

This photo was taken after the game. The scoreboard behind us that showed the shellacking was turned off immediately.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adelyn Blair turns 4!

When Mommy's sick and Daddy's in charge...

Quarterly update from KTown