Checked one off the bucket list

I've lived in the Kittitas Valley for 17 1/2 years and despite that longevity, until today I had never climbed Manastash Ridge. I'll save you from the excuses because they don't matter. With the new job starting this week, I decided that it was now or never so I woke up, got Brittany to work, the kids to school, fueled up on food and headed out to Manastash. The Westberg Trail (named after Ellensburg High School wrestling coach Ray Westberg who passed away in 1997) is a steep haul, 2000 feet in elevation gain in two miles (the trailhead is at roughly 1700 feet, so we're at 3700 feet at the top). I was in 4-wheel drive most of the way...meaning I was in 4-low, not breaking any speed records and certainly not impressing the birds that seemed to track my path up the ridge. Crisp morning. I'd say low 40s to start us off and definitely chilly in the shaded canyon portion of the trail early on.
I snapped a few pictures on the way up. It was a way to cleverly disguise a much needed breather and water break. We're looking NW here, west of Ellensburg with the Stuart Range in the background.
A little bit higher (another "catch my breath, rest my legs" break, hidden as a photo op) with the same view in picture.
Looking east toward Ellensburg. That little puff of smoke in the center is one of the few fires I saw. Farmers are burning their irrigation ditches, which is an annual springtime activity. Here is a serious, but lighthearted interpretation of burning an irrigation ditch: http://thereisloveallaround.blogspot.com/2014/03/what-is-love-its-neighbor-with-garden.html
Me at the top. Apparently I got dressed in the dark today. People use this pinnacle to pay homage to Manastash, friends, loved ones, goals, etc. I liken it to the Valley's version of the prayer flags on top of Everest. I can see how it can get messy there, especially if people are disrespectful to the land. There was a dude there with his dog who picked up a bit of garbage. Guy's name is Jim and his dog River were there. He's a two-time cancer survivor (his dog is also a cancer survivor), he's had 10 surgeries (including two on each knee and a fused spine) and he also passed me on the hike. He hikes year round, including on New Year's Eve when he spends midnight at the top to ring in the New Year. I learned a lot about him and myself in my 10 minutes at the top.
Took a picture of the Stuart Range, but mostly a close up of the Jeff, Jerrod, Jon Hard Rock Cafe climbing hat.
Once again, looking east toward da 'burg. One hour up, 40 minutes down and no matter how difficult going up is, I still think going down a ridge, hill, mountain is more difficult due to sore knees and control. But I'm down, sore and blogging, so all is OK.

Comments

Jerrod said…
Awesome view and awesome hat!

Popular posts from this blog

Adelyn Blair turns 4!

When Mommy's sick and Daddy's in charge...

Quarterly update from KTown